Thursday, August 9, 2007

Al's Oasis

Ya know, it never ceases to amaze me how people can label something with such a grandiose name as 'Al's Oasis' and have it be anything BUT an oasis. I think there should be a law against naming your establishment something so misleading, but perhaps maybe I am being too critical.

Ummm......then again, maybe I am not lol

The day started off well with a trip to 'Bear Country USA' and the 'Mostly Chocolates' store which we make a point of frequenting everytime we are in that neck of da woods =) Seeing all the baby bear cubs romp around, climb trees, splash around in the small pond and capping it off with a trip to a place that dedicates itself to chocolate is like heaven to me. Even my husband has to admit he secretly looks forward to going both places!

But all good things must come to an end, so we left to get started on our trip back home. Numerous signs pop up for this 'Al's Oasis' place, and by the time we reached where it was located at - my husband threw caution to the wind and decided we should be adventurous and try and get something there to eat - as they had a restaurant as well. Its pretty much a strip mall sorta place with a restaurant at the end....

But anyway! So we walk in and are seated in fairly quick order. It takes a few minutes to have the waiter stop by and take our order, and when he does - he is horrid at doing so. Seriously.....how in the heck can you mess up taking someone's order? Just write what they say down verbatim. But this waiter acts like he can't understand what my husband is trying to order (which is simply a salad with their 'famous' buffalo burger), and really earns brownie points with my husband by asking 'is this all on one ticket'?

Umm.....ok, did we act like we didnt know each other well? I find that hard to believe, but....

So we are sitting there waiting for our order to be served to us (which takes an extremely long time I might add), and I notice their 'decor' in their restaurant. There is a ledge all around the wall, near the top of the ceiling, that has endless amounts of dead.....stuffed....animals. Not that I haven't seen this type of decor at other places, but the animals they chose to display should make them ashamed of themselves.

For instance, in one corner is a swan. Now I may not know much about taxidermy, hunting, etc., BUT that is just stupid to stuff a swan. Did they run out of deer? Can you really brag about killing a swan? What in the friggin heck possessed them that day to kill such a beautiful creature? Of course, like my husband said in their defense - it was a really big swan.

Gagggggg...

It wasn't just the swan either that helped kill my appetite there. There were deer, some sort of wild cat (more like a kitten by the size of it), and as I took a look behind me - there is a stuffed porcupine. AGAIN......why?? Was this its punishment for spraying a handful of its porcupine needles at someone? I just don't get it....

To make a long story short - I found it so disturbing that I left there without touching my sandwhich much at all. So we stopped at a gas station and I grabbed a bag of peanut butter M&Ms. Yes......chocolate......the 'feel good' food lol

We finally did make it home about an hour or so ago, which was a relief. When you are sitting in the passenger seat and lifting your rear end up and down to see if the 'air bag' light will go on and off - you are seriously bored =)

So now we are off to get the dogs from their 'doggie spa' and spend the rest of the day at home. Yayyy!!

1 comment:

silfert said...

Now you know why the Dead Fish On the Wall Bar always creeped me out...or maybe it was the people we were stuck there with?