Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Candy Bar Debate

Yesteryday night my husband and I got into a disagreement about what should be classified as a candy bar. This was brought on by the fact that I decided to snack on an almond bar. He asked if I could bring him a candy bar as well, and I corrected him - telling him that I was getting an ALMOND BAR, not a candy bar. As I give the almond bar to him, he still insists that it is a candy bar. Soo.....

What classifies something as a candy bar exactly? Shouldn't it be something you find in the candy bar aisle at a gas station, grocery store and such? If an almond bar is located in the granola bar aisle, it should not earn the title of a candy bar - in my opinion. Besides, there is no chocolate, no caramel, etc to be find in the almond bar. It is comprised of almonds and nougaty-goodness. Notice my last word??? Goodness??? It is friggin healthy for you, I tell ya! A candy bar is labeled as a candy bar because it is unhealthy. For example, in a Snickers bar, you may have peanuts - but it is covered in caramel and chocolate.

My husband argues that an almond bar is a candy bar because it has sugar in it *Lisa rolls eyes* However, if we deemed everything that had the slightest bit of sugar in it a candy bar, what is there left that is healthy for us to eat? According to my husband, even a granola bar is a candy bar. And I find this rather aggravating - cuz then I have to feel guilty about eating more stuff. When something gets labeled as candy bar, you immediately know that the consumption of too many will make you add on pounds. In my mind, eating something like a granola bar or an almond bar should not make you feel guilty, you should be proud of yourself for avoiding the other things that are bad for you..........like friggin CANDY BARS *uggh*

So have I managed to put myself in a bubble where things like almond bars are fine to eat, or is my husband just trying to get a rise out of me? lol

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Almond bars and granola bars are certainly not candy bars!

An almond bar has almonds, a granola bar has granola and a candy bar has some form of candy in it.

Anonymous said...

All I know is that I've been eating too many candy bars for the last 9 months. I think Butterfinger has the sponsor rights to my baby.

silfert said...

Hallowe'en and three birthdays in a row. Extreme candy, and not a granola bar in sight!