Thursday, November 1, 2007

Step One: The Making of Caramel

I can now make caramel - woot, woot! lol However, the making of caramel did not help me finish my cooking project the other night like I had hoped. Despite having horrid results the previous night with the making of caramel, and having my husband tell me I can NOT make anymore - EVER- I decided to give it a try again =)

I had found a recipe for caramel/chocolate pecan spiders to make for Halloween and decided it was now time to branch out from my typical choco chunk cookies and occasional brownies to something a little more complex. Needless to say, the first pot of 'caramel' looked and smelled awful. But.......thinking I was being too critical of my cooking, I had my husband come and look at it. He looks at it, looks at me and I ask him 'So, does this look ok?'

It was met with an immediate 'NO' - so the pot got put in the sink with some water to deal with in the morning. The morning comes and I am running late for work and my husband decides to clean dishes. AND he decides to text me that I was not allowed to make caramel anymore lol It was pretty darn awful tho - it was basically a hard black rock of burnt smelly stuff =/

But anywhooo......tried again yesterday and was elated when the caramel actually started to look like caramel. Step One was now completed and I can move on and complete these edible spiders that I refuse to let get the best of me. However, the black licorice for the legs was not the 'string' kind and my husband ended up sitting at the table cutting pieces of black licorice into numerous skinny pieces to appease his adoring wife =)

I managed to get the pecans coated with caramel, the legs stuck on and the chocolate drizzled over the all of that without too much fuss. They sat for a bit and I decided to try one of them. I pick the first one up from the wax paper and set it on a plate and proceeded to pick up the others. However, the rest friggin STUCK to the wax paper *uggh* So there was a thin layer of wax paper on the bottoms of the spiders.

*SIGH*

So, yet again, the spiders proved to be difficult for me to acheive. I figger I will give it one more chance eventually (after my husband forgets what a pain in the butt hardened caramel is to clean out of a pot lol), and if that turns out bad - no more spiders for me thank ya very much!!

I have to say, some recipes are sure misleading - they act like creating a spider out of food is the most simple act ever. I would like to see whomever made the recipe make them - as they must have a secret I dunno of!!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep trying! I've had recipes that I wouldn't give up on and finally got them after the 3rd time or so. Like angel food cake. Yeesh. That one was hard.

NO BABY YET!

Anonymous said...

um... take pity on your long suffering husband. Please. As a card carrying member of the Society of Long Suffering Husbandry, I can assure you that he:

1) Doesn't enjoy making "spider legs" out of twisted black licorice
2) Doesn't enjoy eating "spider legs" made of sliced up twisted balck licorice
3) Has great disdain for scrubbing material suitable for patching roadwork permanently out of cooking utensils without resorting to petroleum based products.

Your cooperation is greatly appreciated! Besides, you make suck darned good cookies and brownies. Why mess with success? :)

Lisa Marie said...

Hello A -

I make 'suck' good cookies? lol Wha da heck? They are either suck or they are good - make up your mind =)

For some reason, your words sound ALOT like my husbands. Could it be that you ARE my husband? Methinks so!

But your opinion(s), concerns, and complaints are duly noted lol

Lisa Marie said...

Sorry Lora!

Thats the last time I get your hopes up by saying 'I bet your baby will be born on Halloween'. You *could* have her tomorrow, tho - thats A's bday! lol

Was it all the eggs ya have to add for angel food that made it hard? I have cheated on that one so far, I buy the boxed stuff =)

Anonymous said...

The previous anonymous poster must have been too overcome with emotion and sympathy for a fellow member of SOLSH that he was unable to use spellcheck. I'm positive he meant to compliment your cookies. :)

Anonymous said...

It's sifting all the flour and separating eggs (you can't get a drop of egg yolk in it or it won't rise right) and then getting the mixture to form peaks. It's not really that hard if you know what you're doing (which I frequently DON'T) but it does involve a lot of steps that you have to follow exactly in order-something my ADD brain has trouble with. :)

C'mon, BABY! BE BORN TODAY!

Yeah, the boxed stuff, much easier. I am just one of those die hard DIY people. It's a sickness.

silfert said...

Maybe they mean that it's easy to ATTRACT spiders TO food...? And you cookies rock, by the way.