Saturday, November 10, 2007

An Empty Tank of Gas

Not a good Saturday for me so far =/ I wake up at 6 AM to get to work by 7 A (yeah, was working on a friggin Saturday *mwaa*) and about 3/4 of the way there, I run out of gas. Granted, this was my fault entirely, but I was hoping that maybe, just maybe......I would have enuf gasoline to get to work at least and worry about filling up the tank after I put in my 4 hours. I was already running 'late', and did not want to have to stop and deal with it. If I had been rational at all last night, I would have filled up the tank then, but..... needless to say, I found out that when my jeep runs out of gas, it is totally, beyond a shadow of a doubt, OUT OF GAS. I desperately tried several times to start my jeep, and it died instantly.

So anyway! I was right past a major intersection and had managed to pull off onto the 'merge' lane - but still was in the line of traffic so to speak. I gave my husband a call and he was on his way with a can of gasoline. As I was sitting there, it occured to me that no one was stopping, no one was slowing down, and that no one seemed to care that I was stranded on the side of the road. The more I sat there, the more it started to disgust me that no one cared enuf to see if I needed help. There were numerous things that *should* have made them stop:

1. I had my hazzard lights flashing, so it was obvious something was wrong. Just being in the line of traffic, at a dead stop, should have given people a clue. They had no idea it was that I had run out of gas, my jeep could have died for entirely different reasons. I think the considerate thing to do would have been to stop and ask at least.

2. It was 7 A on a Saturday - surely not everyone had somewhere to be, surely not everyone had work to go to. Did everyone have something more important to do then to be considerate enuf to see if someone else needed help? Does it have to be a car accident before someone will actually stop or slow down?

3. Granted, everyone nowadays pretty much has a cell phone, so it is easier now for people to call someone to come and help them out. But how did they know for sure that I did have one? Some people don't........and sometimes, people even manage to forget their cell phone at home. I was not ignoring the people that passed by. In fact, I am sure IF anyone managed to take time out of their busy morning, they would have noticed a pretty forlorn, sad gal sitting in her green jeep. I was not scowling at everyone, altho I certainly felt like it after sitting there 15 minutes with NO ONE stopping to see if I needed help.

I just don't understand what happened to the days that people did stop and see if someone needed help. I can remember several times when I was younger and my parents' cars got stranded on the side of the road, that people stopped and asked - and helped if needed. Several people in fact......even if there was already someone there helping us.

I mean, really......WHAT HAPPENED?

*sigh*

1 comment:

silfert said...

There are more people that suck nowadays. Luckily, not all of them do.