Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Ladies First

I was headed to a DR appt the other day and I had to wait for the elevator to get to the floor where my DRs office was at. At the elevator was an older couple, an older man and lil ole me. When the elevator door opened, I wait for everyone else to go into the elevator before I did. Instead, the single older man waves me and the other gal with her husband on ahead of him. We all walk in ahead of him and the older gal with her husband says 'thank you' to the single older man once we were in the elevator. He replies:

'Ladies first I say'

She again thanks him. To which he replies:

'Its a dying art form'.

And which got me to thinking - has that kind of chivalry died in a sense? I know my husband opens doors for me, but I know that there are guys out there that do not do that anymore. I started to think about why it even mattered - as I tend to go on ahead and open my own doors. I think its not just the 'ladies first' policy. It is the act of chivalry itself ya know? It just reminded me a of a Liberty commercial I like on TV, with the basic 'pay it forward' motto. One person helps someone and someone else notices and helps someone else, and then that someone else helps another person and it continues to go on and on.

I just think its awesome that sometimes it takes a single older man waving you on ahead of him into an elevator to realize one of the most important qualities of all in a human being .....

And I think the world could use alot more of it =)

No comments: