Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Yes Ma'am

I have to say, I am getting tired of being called Ma'am. I am only 34 years old, it isnt time to be called Ma'am is it? My husband says its just being polite, but.... to have an employee at an Arby's drive thru and then another employee at a Walgreen's pharmacy call me Ma'am just the other afternoon was just a bit too much. And every time I go to a restaurant, I am called Ma'am also. I am no longer asked to show my ID in order to get an alcoholic beverage. When once upon a time I used to be peeved that I got carded for everything, now I am peeved they think I look old enuf not to be carded.

Why don't people call me Miss instead of Ma'am? Thats just as polite right? Or just use something to get your attention like - Excuse me? Or ..... here is your espinaca you ordered, would you like anything else with that?

See? No Ma'am needed..... no addressing my age at all for that matter. Just simple and right to the point. And everyone ends up happy..

=)

7 comments:

Steph said...

Ugh, I have the exact same hangup. I am 32 and suddenly I am constantly being called Ma'am. It makes me feel about fifty. And I've never been carded in my whole 3 1/2 years of living in Lawrence.

I think it's because we both project so much worldly wisdom.

Megan said...

This has been bugging me since I was about 25. Shouldn't I be "miss" still? Most of the people who call me that are younger than 20 though, so I try to forgive it. But it irritates the crap out of me.

mmpaints said...

Geez ya'll, wait til yer over 40! Ma'am is better than a whole handful of ignorant youthful slang they could have used. Where I grew up, you better damn sure say "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" or somebody was seriouly upset. It is very much a sign of good upbringing and respect. I'd say be happy you've been waiting on by someone that grew up with some decent values.

silfert said...

We used to make jokes about it in the Army, since the officers were ALWAYS addressed as Ma'am or Sir. "Don't call me Ma'am (or Sir), I work for a living!"

Anonymous said...

Um, I say Ma'am and Sir and I am almost 50. Sorry :o/ I thought it was a sign of respect. It is probably a family/regional/army brat thing and I haven't grown out of it. Sorry.

Lisa Marie said...

lol, Steph - I like to think I project wisdom anyway =)

Think I am just frustrated by it more cuz I *feel* more my age lately. It would be an ego boost if they would card me at this point lol

Anonymous said...

Ma'am is a polite term for a woman OF ANY AGE. If you are over 18 you are a ma'am. Period.

There's no sense in getting twisted out of shape about it. It will not go away. It's not that you look "old" you just look over 21, like a woman.