Wednesday, October 21, 2009

How to Trim Pesky Nose Hairs

Apparently Dr. Jessica Wu from Hollywood has had someone tell her that I have a pesky nose hair problem, as I received an email from her today lol Oh yes, lovely spam email - never a day goes by that I am not annoyed or amused by you.

So anyway! I thought I would share this one with ya'all =) And insert a few comments here and there lol

Q: I met my fiancĂ©e's parents for the first time recently, and all was going well until I noticed my future mother-in-law staring at my nose. When I looked in the mirror, I saw that there was a huge hair protruding from my nostril — I was mortified! What's the best way to get rid of nose hairs, or at least make sure they're not visible to anyone else?

A: Stray nose hairs might embarrass you sometimes, but nasal hair does serve a purpose. It acts as a filter, keeping dust, pollution, and bacteria from passing through your nose and into your lungs.

If your nose hairs are crossing the line, here's what you can do to rein them in:
First, put your tweezers down! (Uhuh, yep - cuz like, EVERYONE thinks pulling their nose hairs with tweezers is not really painful at all, and thats the first thing they WANNA do) I know it seems like the quickest and most obvious solution, but bacteria like staph can grow inside your nostrils, and plucking can create an opening in your skin, allowing the bacteria to penetrate and spread. Several of my patients have gotten staph infections from tweezing their nose hairs, and I don't want that to happen to you. If you notice signs of infection, such as oozing (gross!), crusting (nasty!), pus (really gross!), redness (could be worse lol), or pain (err, ya mean your nose aint gonna like you ripping sumpin out of it? just sayin'...), make an appointment to see your doctor.


Instead of tweezing, trim rogue nose hairs with a clean pair of cuticle scissors. I recommend getting a second, separate pair for your nose because you could spread infection by using the same ones that you use on your cuticles.
When you start trimming, stick to the hairs that protrude outside your nose. Don't try to trim hairs that are too far back in your nostril or too close to the surface — you might pinch or stab your skin. To be on the safe side, consider getting a pair of Tweezerman's round-tip Facial Hair Scissors (
www.tweezerman.com) <-- wow, friggin ORIGINAL website name =) and why is is tweezerMAN and now tweezerGAL? I mean, we ARE talking about a gal with probs with nose hairs after all!

Avoid battery-operated nasal hair trimmers with rotating blades. These tools can be difficult to hold still and they can tickle your nose (lol - but at least you arent in pain right?), making it harder for you to get the job done. They also tend to pull the hairs out, which can enable bacteria to enter your skin.

Finally, get in the habit of checking your nose hairs before going out (you betcha!! should I have my husband check my nose hairs too? just in case ya know....) — and make sure you grin when looking in the mirror because sometimes nasal hair only protrudes when you're smiling.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow... just "wow". I believe we really have reached the end of the internet. There is absolutely nothing left to see, nothing left that needs to be posted. I am convinced of it.

Lisa Marie said...

ROFL! Duly noted.

In my defense, I haven't posted much on my blog lately - so it might take a bit for me to sumpin' you might wanna see =) Am rusty lol

Anonymous said...

I am pretty convinced that the one thing none of us want to see is your nose hairs.

That is all... move along now, nothing left to see...