Saturday, August 8, 2009

Vacation in Deadwood

Ya know, vacation in Sturgis, SD almost every year in August is generally always something I look forward to - despite it being Harley Rally week. Altho, there are always places there that we make sure we go to that makes the trip worthwhile for me - which are Bear Country USA and Mostly Chocolates. The rest of the time, I *try* to be the ultimate biker chick, but usually fail miserably because I am somewhat of a priss. My husband loves to stay in a historic hotel in Deadwood, SD while we are there - and 'historic' generally means 'we have done as little renovation as possible in order to make a profit'. At least in Deadwood, SD this is true....

Last year we were in a fairly big room - altho the shower barely sprayed you clean, there was only one mirror which was forever fogged up even when someone wasnt showering (and you didnt really wanna know what that foggy film was, and hated to ask), and there was green plush carpet that looked like it had seen better days.

This year? Our new room's shower sprayed better, but the tub drained slowly instead. The mirror was newer, but the room was overall smaller. And the carpet was the same green plush found in the other room we had.

I could've reconciled myself with these things, but there is always that one thing more sent my way - just to test me. About 6 months ago, my husband and I went down to GA - I got to visit the zoo (which has pandas - my favorite animal), and my husband picked up a new Harley. On the way back, we stopped in Nashville to spend the night and went out to get something to eat, check out the sites when we got checked into the hotel. We ate, then headed to a nearby bar - and thats where we had a couple of 'celeb' encounters. We were sitting at the bar, and a guy decked out in the ultimate country outfit came in with his entourage of gals hanging all over him. Obviously used to the attention , and obviously loving the attention - and obviously bothered by the fact that despite him sitting right next to me at the bar, I turned my back on him and ignored him the whole time. He leaves, and the bartender gal informs us that he was John Rich from the country band, 'Big & Rich'.

And what does this have to do with the room you say? Most of the rooms at this hotel have a 'name' assigned to them. Last year's room was named 'Jan Winner' (publisher of Rolling Stone magazine), and this year's?

Yup. Big & Rich.

However, what is disturbing is that this room has a Queen size bed. So if both stay there....

Anyway, maybe I said too much lol

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Lest anyone get the wrong impression of Lisa's celebrity encounter, John Rich was parked on the bar stool right next to Lisa for about an hour and a half, and he was highly annoyed that, to Lisa anyway, he was apparently invisible. The harder he tried to get her attention, the more invisible he became, which GREATLY amused the bartender, whom told us that was the greatest thing she'd seen in her 5 years of bartending there. At one point, John Rich gave me a sort of sneer, as if to say "how'd a dirtbag like you score a hot chick like that" and I simply smiled back and tipped my beer at him, which I think pissed him off further. lol

It was a truly memorable trip!

silfert said...

Awesome. At least the guy's got SOME taste... I'm surprised a certain somebody didn't egg things on. "C'mon, Honey! The T-shirt shop said that your 'Big & Rich Sucks' tee should be ready by now!"