Monday, May 11, 2009

Ants

I am *really* getting tired of the ants we have coming into our house. I do believe they are morphing into 'super ant' mode - as it takes a lot to kill them. Not to mention, they must've all developed brains, as their survival skills involve tactics that most insects would not have considered. For the most part, they are all in the kitchen sink and/or counter when I do find them - so I am happy that the kitchen cabinets have managed to do their job in keeping them away. But everytime I go to smash an ant, it takes me several tries because they have started working out or sumpin' and sprint away from the paper towel I usually find acceptable to smash them with. And on multiple occasions, I will raise the paper towel to find the ant motionless on the counter, only to have it take off again unharmed. What da friggin heck happened that a 5 '6'' person is unable to smash a teeny tiny ant? The F'N ant *should* have died darnit! So needless to say alot of times, I try the drowning technique - which usually works, altho I think they all have now decided all members of the ant colony need to take swimming lessons because that doesnt seem to kill them either *uggh*

To add insult to injury, these ants have gotten to be picky eaters. There was a plate that used to have nachos on it earlier in the day not long ago that they ALL bypassed in order to go get the tiny crumb of something better a little further down on the counter. Altho, I could use that to my advantage *evil laugh* I will bake a cake - leave a piece of it out on the counter to have all ants fight over. Either they will get grumpy with another and hostile and kill each other over the delicious cake they scored, or they will eat so much they will feel ill - which will slow them down and enable me to kill them quicker =)

I AM disappointed in my youngest dog tho. She eats June Bugs. She eats rotted leaves. She gnaws on plastic blinds. BUT somehow she doesnt seem to think that maybe she could be useful and eat the ants for me.

Or maybe she is smarter than me and knows that killing ants is a friggin waste of time lol

4 comments:

Steph said...

My parents ate chocolate covered ants when they lived in central Africa. Apparently they were quite the delicacy. Perhaps you should explore their culinary uses?

Megan said...

We had an ant issue. We got these little things from OFF that you put in the yard around the house and it keeps em' from coming in at all. Also, we have a professional exterminator come out once a quarter to spray so we just don't get bugs of any kind - except the kind that fly into the house through our open windows. The OFF stuff worked really well though. They're just little sticks with round heads on em' - kinda like really big golf tees.

silfert said...

Alcohol, water, and dish soap, mixed in a 40-40-20 ratio. Kills 'em on contact AND destroys their trail so they can't find their way back!

Maybe instead of sprints you should try weights...

Lisa Marie said...

Steph -

WOW. And EWW. And WOW lol

Umm. Guess grounded up in a fine powder might make me forget they are ants?

Megan & A -

Thanks for the tips!! Husband actually got numerous boxes of ant traps, which seem to be working. Unless they are having a meeting tomorrow to decide what to do about them, I think we have them beat lol